Friday, May 15, 2009

The Human Race

Jeremy King, Program Assistant, CalSERVES


Excitement filled the air as we crowded together at the start line. Looking to my right and left I saw white CalSERVES shirts surrounding me. The day was already warm at 8:00 in the morning, making me glad we would be done before noon. The race started and we were off! A wave of humanity rushed through past the start line and into the empty street. Onlookers cheered from the sideline as men, women, children, and even dogs made their way through the race.


I was walking with the knowledge that we at CalSERVES raised more than $15,000 to buy books for our kids this summer. It had begun a month before with emailing and asking friends and family to help support our students by donating money to our cause. By the race I had only raised $55.00, which is a small amount compared to some of our members and staff who raised more that $500 by themselves.


It was an amazing day!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...