Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Volunteering with CalSERVES at Kawana Elementary School

Christine Mendoza, CalSERVES Volunteer at Kawana Elementary

Christine Mendoza, CalSERVES Volunteer, tutors Luis, a 5th Grade student at Kawana Elementary School.

I went into volunteering at CalServes with the belief that this was going to be a short-term work-like relationship with the organization. The main reason I chose to volunteer at CalServes was primarily to gain experience for future resumes and applications for graduate schools. Now I find myself investing more time volunteering than at my part-time job and as many people point out, I don’t even get paid to do this! I guess that’s what helps me realize my time volunteering is so well spent. CalSERVES provided me with an inside look of the state of California’s public school system that I have never experienced.

I have never felt so privileged until I began tutoring and helping out the children in the program. When I go to volunteer at Kawana Elementary, I don’t wonder why I don’t do this for money because I’ve never felt like going in was a job. It’s truly a pleasure to work with a team so dedicated to making a positive influence in the lives of children.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...