Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Super Snack Love

Before I became an After School Team Leader, I knew that one of my main responsibilities would be providing snack for the students. This year we started something brand new, the supper program. When I initially heard about the change I grew extremely nervous. Not only did the amount of food we had to provide change but it also changed the amount of time it would take for me to get everything ready. My fears were soon dismissed and over the past 4 months I have grown to absolutely love the supper program. It really allows for us to provide our students with many healthy options, and to ensure that they will go home feeling full.

When we began the supper program, my co-partner Ms. Rafalow and I realized how hard it was for just the two of us to hand out all of this food to 150 students. We brainstormed on how we could make the process as easy as possible, but the answer didn’t come from us - it cam from our students. We realized that our students wanted to be part of the process with us, so I developed a schedule in which different students from each grade are able to help us pass the food out each day.

Passing out Supper at Wright.
At first I wasn’t sure how many students would actually want to help us, but it has become very popular in the after school program. I have students who ask me during regular school if they can be my helper for snack. One day I even had a student cling to my leg and refused to let go until I told him he could help me. Many of our students also help us clean up snack and we have developed a very successful recycling system that students enjoy helping with as well.

Seeing my students want to help us is what has allowed for me to enjoy the supper program as much as I do. Seeing them enthusiastic to pass out food to their peers has given me the momentum I need everyday to ensure that the supper program is successful.

By Stacey Krywaruczenko, AmeriCorps Team Leader at Wright Charter School

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...