Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Giving Back to the School that Shaped Me

Grecia and STEM Students working together.
My name is Grecia Barboza, and I am a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) tutor at Shearer Elementary School. As a Shearer alumnus, it gives me great pride to give back to the school that helped shape me into who I am today. At Shearer, it was the passionate teachers who were the most memorable. Looking back now, it is evident how big of an impact they had on my education and drive to succeed academically.

 Being an AmeriCorps Service Scholar is more than what the job description might lead you to believe. When I replied to the advertisement, I knew I would be tutoring kids and assisting the after school staff. I saw this as a way to build valuable experience for the future and was immediately intrigued by the prospect. However, AmeriCorps has turned out to be much more than that. I see around 25 kids a day in small group tutoring sessions. Yet, I am not just a tutor. I am also a counselor, a mentor, an older sister, a confidant, a friend. Throughout the year, I have shown them that I am not only here to teach them a math lesson, but also here to listen to what they have to say. Although most of what they say is random kid talk, they know that in tutoring groups there exists an environment where their questions, ideas, and opinions are respected and valued.

There is nothing more satisfying than a kid’s “a-ha” moment and knowing that it is you who made their understanding possible. Serving with AmeriCorps in Napa has given me and all Service Scholars the opportunity to foster the minds of the future of America and give them the extra attention and support they do not receive in class. The value of this experience is one that I will cherish and hope to expand in the future.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...