Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Michelle Hernandez- Featured Student!

Diana Bridges, Literacy Team Leader at Kawana Elementary


Diana and Michelle

On the first day of tutoring last year, I was as nervous as any other mentor. My first student was a tiny fifth grader, Michelle, who loved the color purple and hated taking tests. As we sat down to do our first assessments, Michelle was quiet, rung her hands, and asked to get a drink from the water fountain. It seemed I was not the only one who was terrified on the first session! After realizing this about one another, we both laughed, and from that day forward were able to have successful tutoring sessions. I learned more from Michelle than she knows, and as her tutor again this year, I am excited to be learning from her again.

Michelle is now a sixth grader, and though she is small, she is tough, and that initial silence has been replaced by confidence and an sense of humor that can make any bad day turn around. Michelle now loves to read and has begun reading with her sister outside of school, and sharing her thoughts about these books with me. She loves playing "News Cast" while we do our STARS curricula and asks with suspense in her voice, "Will Michelle answer all 4 questions right? Let's head over to Ms. Bridges to see!" She makes the best out of her education and has been an inspiration to me in my returning a second year in AmeriCorps, and in furthering my education to become a teacher.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...