Tuesday, May 21, 2013

It is in Giving that We Receive


 I came to the CalSERVES program as an AmeriCorps scholar with the intent to serve my community. Because I moved to Sonoma County straight out of high school, I wanted to be part of a localized movement and see what this place was really all about. Little did I know that this job would soon change my entire outlook on life.

I wake up each morning with send of purpose, pride and belonging. It has been my time spent serving others, particularly the youth in my community, which has brought deeper meaning and fulfillment to my life. Being able to support kids in their academic and emotional needs has helped me to better define my own personal values and goals in life.

 After the short year I have spent working within this community, I am sure that my direction in life has completely changed---and for the better too! Through this experience, I have realized that being of service to others and my community will always play a huge role in my life. I wouldn’t trade the last year of my life for the world and I am grateful to know that working for CalSERVES AmeriCorps has completely transformed my life.

by Samantha Bereman, AmeriCorps Literacy Scholar at Wright Charter

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...