Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Classroom Leader Takes Off with First Grade!

Megan Cockrum, CalSERVES Classroom Leader
The school year began with a new set of kids and a new program for CalSERVES. Although the past month has been challenging, it was one for which I was ready. Not only was I starting the school year moving from mentoring fifth to first grade, I would be in the class without a partner.

I came into the classroom thinking I knew what first grade would be like and automatically threw those expectations out the window. It was refreshing being able to be more silly with the kids, but I found out straight away that I still had to keep my game face on. There have been some trips along the way, but more than a month in I think I’m getting the hang of things. My class is eager to learn and quick to please.

Living by the TRIBES agreements (Mutual Respect, Attentive Listening, No Put Downs, and the Right to Pass) has become the norm in and out of the class, along with the school motto: be safe, be respectful, and be responsible. Homework time is probably my biggest struggle, with 20 first graders to help, but it's been a learning experience too. I’m ready for the rest of the year and what will come.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

by Megan Cockrum, CalSERVES Classroom Leader, Bellevue Elementary

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...